|Journal Author Gateway Submission Guidelines|
Journal Author Gateway
Submitting your article
Each SAGE journal has its own Editorial office with its own unique manuscript submission guidelines. To submit your article, go to the master list of SAGE journals, select the journal in which you wish to publish, then click on 'Manuscript Submission' for specific details on how to submit an article.
Illustrations, pictures and graphs should be supplied with the highest quality and in an electronic format that helps us to publish your article in the best way possible. Please follow the guidelines below to enable us to prepare your artwork for the printed issue as well as online.
1. Checklist for ensuring proper submission of artwork:
- Resolution: Images should be supplied with a resolution of at least 300 dpi, line art with 600 dpi.
- Accepted Formats: TIFF, EPS or PDF. MS Office files (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) are also accepted provided they meet certain conditions. For more information, see section 3 below.
- Color: Please note that color images will be published in color online and black and white in print (unless otherwise arranged).
- Therefore, it is important that you supply images that are legible in black and white as well (i.e., by using color with a distinctive pattern or dotted lines). The captions should reflect this by not using words indicating color.
- Dimension: Check that the artwork supplied matches or exceeds the dimensions of the journal. Images can not be scaled up after origination.
- Fonts: The lettering used in the artwork should not vary too much in size and type (usually sans serif font as a default).
2. Artwork on disk:
If you cannot submit the artwork electronically, you may send a disk via postal mail. Acceptable formats include: CD-ROM, 3.5" disk, JAZ disk or ZIP disk. Figure captions should be submitted with the original main text. Please always supply hard copies along with the disk or accompanying e-mails detailing the content.
3. Word files (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
Microsoft Office is essentially a family of applications that can be used to produce a variety of document types, including written documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and databases. Although we prefer artwork files in TIFF, EPS or PDF formats, we are also aware that a number of authors already (for convenience) submit their artwork in Microsoft Office formats; therefore, we will continue to support these submission types now and in the future.
Checklist for submitting Microsoft Office files:
- Resolution: Images should be supplied with a resolution of at least 300 dpi.
- Dimension: Once you have imported/inserted an image into a Microsoft Office application, do not change its size
- Fonts: Please use only 'truetype' fonts, i.e., Arial, Courier, Helvetica, Symbol, Times.
For more information on Microsoft Office, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/office.
English Language Editing Services
Authors who would like to refine the use of English in their manuscripts might consider utilizing the services of a professional editing provider, such as the following services:
- SPi (www.prof-editing.com) offers professional editing services to authors of journal articles in the areas of science, technology, medicine or the social sciences, specializing in editing and correcting English-language manuscripts written by authors with a primary language other than English.
- Bioscience Editing Solutions (www.bioscienceeditingsolutions.com) was founded by a small group of PhD graduates of Columbia. Its editors are native English speaking PhD or MD graduates and include active academic or industry researchers who publish regularly.
- BioScience Writers (www.biosciencewriters.com/) provide science editing and proofreading services, specializing in revising, editing and proofreading scientific and medical research documents.
SAGE has no affiliation with and makes no endorsement of these companies. An author's use of these services in no way guarantees that his or her submission will ultimately be accepted. Any arrangement an author enters into will be exclusively between the author and the service, and any costs incurred are the sole responsibility of the author. For additional editing services, visit the Editorial Freelancers Association (www.the-efa.org).