"Willis catches the student up on relevant aspects of philosophy, empiricism, history, and prevailing political influences. This building of chronology is so valuable for students in understanding the origins of specific schools of thought in relations to a paradigm."
Heather T. Zeng, NACADAFoundations of Qualitative Research
introduces key theoretical and epistemological concepts replete with historical and current real-world examples. Author Jerry W. Willis provides an invaluable resource to guide the critical and qualitative inquiry process written in an accessible and non-intimidating style that brings these otherwise difficult concepts to life. Key Features:
- Covers the conceptual foundations of interpretive, critical, and post-positivist paradigms: A thorough background of theory and social inquiry is given by looking at the development of each paradigm throughout history.
- Provides real-world examples: Cases illustrate different approaches to the same research problem so that students can better understand the contrasting features of these paradigms.
- Introduces seven qualitative research frameworks: In-depth coverage is provided on Altheide and Johnson’s Analytic Realism; Denzin and Lincoln’s Interpretive Perspective; Eisner’s Connoisseurship Model of Inquiry; Semiotics; the Phenomenological Psychological Model; Poststructuralism and Postmodernism; and Symbolic Interactionism.
- Offers general guidelines for qualitative research: Conceptually covers the best practices, approaches to data analysis, and interpretation of qualitative research.
- Examines emergent methods in qualitative research: New research areas such as PAR, emancipatory research, and participatory design research are included, as well as exemplary journal articles to further illustrate how theory links to research practice.
This text is designed for advanced undergraduate and graduate students taking their first or second qualitative research methods course in the fields of Education, Psychology, and the Health and Social Sciences. It is also an excellent theory companion supplement to the more applied qualitative methods text.