The Fourth Edition
of this highly successful textbook provides a unique and comprehensive introduction to the study and understanding of human relationships. This thoroughly revised edition combines the most recent research from social, personality, and developmental psychology, communication studies, family studies, and sociology with greater interdisciplinarity coverage and emphasis on processes of everyday life. Fresh insights from family studies, developmental psychology, occupational, and organizational psychology also combine to bring new perspectives to this thorough survey of the field.
Thoroughly updated, with new chapters on Relating Difficulty, "small media" technology and relationships, and practical applications, the new edition is responsive to the student demand for insight into their own lives. Key Features:
Human Relationships, Fourth Edition
- Try this out: a section in each chapter indicating how the students can apply concepts personally
- Look for this in the media where students are guided toward concepts as presented by TV and other media
- Listen to your own conversations which points students to understand topics in terms of their own everyday interactions
- Keep a journal where students are directed to keep a journal for class discussion reporting on topic-relevant experiences in their daily life
- Self questions which confront students with a number of questions that invite them to reflect on their own performance of relationships relative to each chapter topic
- Practical matters directing students to practical application in the broader social world beyond their academic or personal experiences Chapter summaries, already present in the Third Edition, offer improved guided study review
- Brand new chapter openers providing focus points for note taking when reading the chapter
retains a distinctive authorial voice while offering a fully up-to-date and authoritative review of the field and is an invaluable book for all students and professionals who want to understand interpersonal relationships from a wide perspective.