Becoming a Multiculturally Competent Counselor
- Changming Duan - University of Kansas, Lawrence, USA, University of Missouri - Kansas City
- Chris Brown - University of Missouri - Kansas City
Organized around the latest CACREP Standards, this timely book covers the core concepts, theories, and skills of multicultural and social justice counseling. With a focus on helping readers develop their multicultural professional identities, the authors conceptualize multicultural identity development as the foundation for comprehending the pervasive impact of social privilege and oppression and developing competencies to effectively work with the culturally diverse. Case illustrations, exercises, and an emphasis on reflective practice foster a true understanding and application of concepts.
Becoming a Multiculturally Competent Counselor is part of the SAGE Counseling and Professional Identity Series, which targets specific competencies identified by CACREP (Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs). To learn more about each text in the series, please visit www.sagepub.com/cpiseries.
Password-protected Instructor Resources include the following:
- A Microsoft® Word® test bank is available containing multiple choice, true/false, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter. The test bank provides you with a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity for editing any question and/or inserting your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding.
- A Respondus electronic test bank is available and can be used on PCs. The test bank contains multiple choice, true/false, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter and provides you with a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity for editing any question and/or inserting your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding. Respondus is also compatible with many popular learning management systems so you can easily get your test questions into your online course.
- Editable, chapter-specific Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides offer you complete flexibility in easily creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to certain full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected for each chapter. Each article supports and expands on the concepts presented in the chapter. This feature also provides questions to focus and guide student interpretation. Combine cutting-edge academic journal scholarship with the topics in your course for a robust classroom experience.
- Lecture notes summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help with preparation for lectures and class discussions.
- Sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for use when creating the syllabi for your courses.
- Lively and stimulating ideas for class assignments that can be used in class to reinforce active learning. The assignments apply to individual or group projects.
- Classroom exercises, also included in the book, are included to make them easily accessible and assignable.
- Chapter-specific discussion questions help launch classroom interaction by prompting students to engage with the material and by reinforcing important content.
- Case illustration discussion questions are designed to promote students’ in-depth engagement with the case illustrations provided in the book.
- Recommended readings, also included in the book, provide a jumping-off point for course assignments, papers, research, group work, and class discussion.
The open-access Student Study Site includes the following:
- Mobile-friendly web quizzes allow for independent assessment of progress made in learning course material.
- Each chapter includes audio links, covering important topics and designed to supplement key points within the text.
- Carefully selected video links feature relevant interviews, lectures, personal stories, inquiries, and other content for use in independent or classroom-based explorations of key topics.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to certain full-text SAGE journal articles have been carefully selected for each chapter. Each article supports and expands on the concepts presented in the chapter. This feature also provides questions to focus and guide your interpretation.
- Web resources allow for further research on important chapter topics.