Developing Performance-Based Assessments, Grades K-5
- Nancy P. Gallavan - University of Central Arkansas, USA
Classroom/Student Assessment | Tests & Measurement
Access the Book Appendices here.
"In an era where buzzwords like 'assessment' and 'accountability' are used every day in our school systems, a book like this is long overdue. The author clearly explains important terminology while providing easy-to-understand ways to engage in quality assessment in any elementary classroom."
—Jennifer Sinsel, Elementary Gifted Teacher
Bostic Traditional Magnet School, Andover, KS
Use PBAs to design learning experiences that increase student engagement and achievement!
There is nothing more rewarding than the moment when a student "gets it." Helping educators reach that goal, Nancy P. Gallavan demonstrates how performance-based assessments (PBAs) can help create stimulating teaching and learning environments in elementary classrooms.
This easy-to-understand guide explains how to construct assessments that effectively measure learner performance and allow educators to align curriculum and instruction with students' needs. With PBAs, teachers can engage students in the learning process, connect the learning to students' individual lives, and monitor learning outcomes. The author provides:
- Detailed and clear examples of performance-based assessments
- Guidelines for creating and using rubrics and assessment templates
- Checklists, frequently asked questions, graphic organizers, and activities to reinforce the content in each chapter
- Numerous appendices, including standards for educational assessment, the four domains of learning, and a host of helpful Web sites, readings, and references
Developing Performance-Based Assessments, Grades K–5 is a valuable asset for facilitating learning experiences with rewarding outcomes.
“In an era where buzzwords like ‘assessment’ and ‘accountability’ are used every day in our school systems, a book like this is long overdue. The author clearly explains important terminology while providing easy-to-understand ways to engage in quality assessment in any elementary classroom.”
"This book is very practical and useful to teachers trying to teach to all types of learners.”
Very practical approach to classroom assessment.