"A book about the fearless joy, the common sense, and the B.S. detector necessary for good teaching. Brava!"
—Michelle Broussard, Assistant Professor
McNeese State University
"This book is a winner for anyone who loves teaching and who cares about helping students reach beyond expectations."
—Gayla LeMay, Teacher
Louise Radloff Middle School, Snellville, GA
Inspirational, invigorating advice from a veteran teacher!
Vickie Gill's time-tested wisdom and practical advice provides the insight teachers need to develop a dynamic, successful classroom. This third edition of her bestseller contains new material that helps teachers work with new technologies, evolving social climates, limited budgets, and standardized testing. Drawing on lessons learned from 21 joyous years of teaching, Gill illustrates each commandment with authentic classroom stories and concrete guidance for staying enthusiastic and committed to excellence. The suggestions show how to:
- Ask for support from your principal or staff
- Reach difficult-to-teach students
- Choose your battles carefully
- Maintain an open mind and a flexible attitude
- Focus on why you became a teacher in the first place
Rediscover your profound joy for teaching, students, and what Gill calls "the greatest of all professions."
The major changes between the second and third editions of The Eleven Commandments of Good Teaching are as follows:
1. Eight years later, I've updated the advice in this book to match what I'm currently doing in my classroom. I find that my overall approach to teaching still works; however, I have fine-tuned some of my classroom management techniques and revised teaching units to meet the ever-changing needs of my students, especially with slashed budgets and the dominance of standardized testing in our schools. For this third edition, I've also wrestled with the increasing presence of sophisticated technology in the classroom. We would be foolish to ignore these wonderful tools, but at the same time, the most intuitive "Smart Board" will never replace knowledgeable, passionate teachers who can inspire their students to master the skills that will be useful both inside and outside of the academic world.
2. The addition of inspirational and thought-provoking quotations about the art of teaching at the beginning of each chapter.
3. The addition of a detailed index at the end of the book.
4. The addition of a Suggested Reading list.