Nurturing young writers sets the stage for their success
Learning to Write and Loving It! equips teachers of young children with practical strategies, assessment tools, and motivating writing activities that are based on current research and proven practice and are easily applicable to all kinds of learning environments. Included are many authentic writing samples and photos to illustrate effective, developmentally appropriate instructional methods, mini-lessons, and activities. Sought-after author and speaker Miriam P. Trehearne demonstrates how to scaffold play and literacy learning and how to easily link assessment to instruction.
- Differentiate using effective instructional approaches for teaching writing and supporting inquiry and play
- Assess and document student writing seamlessly throughout the day
- Motivate and engage children in writing fiction (narrative), nonfiction, poetry, and song
- Enjoy learning with a powerful collection of vignettes from real classrooms
- Use teacher-friendly guidelines for effectively integrating technology and selecting software for young children
A companion CD offers modifiable reproducibles, observation checklists, assessments, and projects for parents to do with their young children. Learn how to successfully scaffold writing, and, in the process, foster cross-curricular skills in science, social studies, and math.
Research shows that writing provides a strong foundation for literacy development. Further, writing helps children express themselves, clarify their thinking, communicate ideas, and integrate new information into their knowledge base. This book helps teachers get children off to a strong academic start by learning to write and loving it!