Mapping Comprehensive Units to the ELA Common Core Standards, 6–12
- Kathy Tuchman Glass - Glass Educational Consulting
Your blueprint for skilled Common Core literacy alignment!
Learn to artfully navigate Common Core - or any state/province - standards with concrete, step-by-step instruction from master teacher and curriculum specialist, Kathy Tuchman Glass. Confidently map a unit of study aligned to Common Core’s rigorous, evidence-based writing and reading requirements. Dive into in-depth analyses of informational text with supporting essential questions. Glass walks you through the entire process with manageable chunks that eliminate overwhelm.
Chapters include thorough explanations, step-by-step exercises, and detailed templates, assessments, charts, tips, and prompts centered around key CCCS concepts for grades 6–12.
Teachers, curriculum committees, grade level teams, and professional development leaders will learn to:
- Challenge and engage students in all content areas using the CCCS ELA framework
- Use existing curriculum and materials to design new, CCCS-aligned units of study
- Identify mandatory CCCS ELA essential understandings for informational text, evidence-based writing and other critical competencies
- Conduct resource-rich workshops and professional development
This all-in-one instructional guide, with a companion website for extra help, improves your professional capacity to create, revise, or critique quality-driven units and lessons aligned to the ELA Common Core. Get this essential blueprint to building high quality 6–12 grade-level curriculum for skilled CCCS literacy-aligned success!
“Like them or hate them, the Common Core Standards represent one of the most significant opportunities for improvement schools have faced in decades. This book will be a great help to anyone engaged in the act of translating the Common Core into actual teaching practices.”
--Jim Knight, Author of High-Impact Instruction
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 2 Essential Understandings