"This book is wonderful. My colleagues often state that the joy has been taken out of teaching. This book is a wake-up call that should be read by lawmakers at every level. Today I am celebrating the childhood of my students—something that we forget to do."
—Christine Zajac, Principal
Lt. Clayre Sullivan School, Holyoke, MA
There is more to education than teacher-proof curricula and scores on high-stakes tests!
Educators know that genuine teaching involves caring, compassion, and building character—principles that can sometimes take a back seat to short-term goals of standardized performance. This inspirational volume for practicing teachers, student teachers, and school leaders champions the heart and soul of teaching and emphasizes how teachers can influence, inspire, and touch the lives of learners. The book explores the central themes of teaching practice and offers perspectives on:
- Teaching as an art that promotes creativity, character, and imagination in students
- Balancing testing and accountability with the art and passion of teaching
- Authentic being and authentic teaching
- Reform from the ground level, where educators are making a difference in the lives of their students
- New directions for accountability mandates
A motivating and empowering guide, this book reminds educators why they went into teaching in the first place!