Uncovering Student Thinking About Mathematics in the Common Core, High School
25 Formative Assessment Probes
- Cheryl Rose Tobey - Tobey Education Group, LLC, Education Development Center, Newton, MA
- Carolyn B. Arline - Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance
Cheryl Rose Tobey, Carolyn B. Arline
“Not only does this book make strong connections to the CCSS, it provides a framework for teachers to improve their craft. Identifying student misconceptions is an extremely important aspect of assessment and this book provides a solid format to aid teachers."
—Randy Wormald, Math Teacher
Kearsarge Regional High School, Sutton, NH
Take the guesswork out of high school math instruction!
Helping your students master high school mathematics just got a whole lot easier! Bestselling authors Cheryl Rose Tobey and Carolyn B. Arline provide 25 detailed and grade-level specific assessment probes that promote deep learning and expert math instruction. Learn to ask the right questions to uncover where and how students commonly get confused.
Focused on subconcepts within the new Common Core State Standards for Mathematics and organized by strand, the probes will help you foster new and accurate skills--while learning is underway. You’ll learn how to
- Quickly diagnose students’ common misconceptions and procedural mistakes
- Help students pinpoint areas of struggle
- Plan targeted instruction that builds on students’ current understandings while addressing difficulties with Algebra, Geometry,Functions, Logarithms, Statistics and Probability, Trigonometric Ratios, and more
- Elicit the skills and processes related to the Standards for Mathematical Practices
You’ll find sample student responses, extensive Teacher Notes, and research-based tips and resources to help you instill new mathematical ideas. Includes the QUEST Cycle for effective, hands-on implementation. Now you can eliminate the guesswork once and for all and join thousands of busy high school teachers who’ve used these easy-to-implement tools to build solid math proficiency!
Other Books From Corwin:
1. Tobey: Uncovering Student Thinking About Mathematics in the Common Core, Grades K–2, 978-1-4522-3003-0
2. Tobey: Uncovering Student Thinking About Mathematics in the Common Core, Grades 3-5, 978-1-4522-7024-1
3. Tobey: Uncovering Student Thinking About Mathematics in the Common Core, Grades 6-8, 978-1-4522-3088-7
Cheryl Rose Tobey is a Senior Mathematics Associate at Education Development Center (EDC). She is the implementation director for the Pathways to Mathematics Achievement Study and a mathematics specialist for the NSF-funded Formative Assessment in the Mathematics Classroom: Engaging Teachers and Students (FACETS) and Differentiated Professional Development: Building Mathematics Knowledge for Teaching Struggling Students (DPD) projects. She also serves as a project director for an Institute for Educational Science (IES) project, Eliciting Mathematics Misconceptions (EM2).
Carolyn B. Arline is a secondary mathematics educator, currently teaching high school students in Maine. She also works as a teacher leader in the areas of mathematics professional development, learning communities, assessment, systematic school reform, standards-based teaching, learning and grading, student-centered classrooms, and technology. She has previously worked as a mathematics specialist at the Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance (MMSA) and continues her work with them as a consultant.
"High school mathematics can be one of the most difficult subjects for students to learn. This book provides the teacher with tools to help the student get to the root of their thinking in order to correct the underlying misconceptions that students amass during their school years."
"Not only does this book make strong connections to the CCSS, it provides a framework for teachers to improve their craft. Identifying student misconceptions is an extremely important aspect of assessment and this book provides a solid format to aide teachers."