"This book's strong research base, as well as the knowledge that a school can use this method with success, speaks volumes about the possibilities for success using Unison Reading."
—Dolores M. Hennessy
New Milford Public Schools, CT
"This could be the most innovative approach to reading instruction I've come across in the last 20 years. It has the potential to transform classroom practice, enabling students to meet the highest quality standards of reading instruction. A must-read."
—Susan B. Neuman, Professor
University of Michigan, School of Education, Ann Arbor, MI
A revolutionary breakthrough in reading instruction that benefits ALL students!
When teachers give students an equal opportunity to learn, children flourish. Unison Reading is a novel approach to literacy instruction that creates a more equitable learning experience and advances students' reading abilities. Unison Reading engages students as they read content of their choice aloud in small, diverse groups. Tested and proven effective in a PreK–8 Title I school, Unison Reading:
- Builds on the premise that reading is fundamentally a social activity, and texts are expressions of social purposes
- Organizes learning around children's self-chosen interests
- Fosters confidence, relationships, and collaboration between students
- Maximizes children's opportunities to communicate with and learn from others
- Redistributes responsibility for learning from the teacher to the students
This innovative guidebook includes principles for practice, teacher testimonials, and an appendix with ready-to-use forms. Cynthia McCallister's groundbreaking work addresses frequently asked questions from educators and clearly demonstrates how Unison Reading benefits all students.