Professional success requires excellent communication skills. Organized around the transition from student to professional life, Business and Professional Communication, Third Edition gives readers the tools they need to move from interview candidate to team member to leader. Kelly M. Quintanilla and Shawn T. Wahl help students understand the role communication plays when successfully handling situations like job interviewing, providing feedback to supervisors, and working in teams. The fully updated Third Edition includes expanded coverage of making competent choices in new communication channels, increased emphasis on skill building for business writing and presentations, and the effective use of visual aids.
Give your students the SAGE edge!
SAGE edge offers a robust online environment featuring an impressive array of free tools and resources for review, study, and further exploration, keeping both instructors and students on the cutting edge of teaching and learning. Learn more at edge.sagepub.com/quintanilla3e.
|What Is Business and Professional Communication?|
|Business and Professional Excellence in Context|
|Understanding the KEYS Process|
|Understanding the Importance of Human Communication in Business and Professional Contexts|
|Communication: A Complex Process|
|Social Media and Technology: Key Challenges in the Communication Age|
|KEYS for Excellence in the Workplace|
|Codes of Nonverbal Communication|
|Forming Relationships With Verbal and Nonverbal Communication|
|KEYS To Excellence in Verbal and Nonverbal Communication|
|Hearing and Listening|
|Barriers to Listening|
|Listening Styles and Categories|
|Improving Your Listening|
|KEYS to Listening Excellence|
|The Job-Seeking Process|
|Stage One: Exploring|
|Stage Two: Researching|
|Stage Three: Applying|
|Stage Four: Interviewing|
|Stage Five: Following Up|
|Stage Six: Negotiating|
|KEYS to Excellence in the Job-Seeking Process|
|Learning Your Workplace Culture|
|Assimilating College Students|
|Diversity in Your Workplace: Some Important Concepts|
|Examples of Diversityin Professional Contexts|
|KEYS to Excellence in Getting to Know the Diverse Workplace|
|Exploring Relationship Types at Work|
|The Line Between Professional And Personal|
|KEYS to Excellence in Interpersonal Communication|
|How Do Groups Differ From Teams?|
|Cultivating Innovative Thinking|
|Conflict in Team Meetings|
|KEYS to Excellence in Team Communication|
|Part IV: Excelling in the Workplace|
|Communication and Technology: Tools for Professionals|
|Drawbacks of Technology|
|Professional Etiquette With Technology|
|KEYS to Excellence With Communication and Technology|
|The Importance of Written Communication|
|Types of Written Communication|
|KEYS to Excellence in Written Communication|
|What Is Leadership?|
|Improving Communication With Leadership Theories|
|Hiring the Right Team|
|Following Up and Following Through|
|Communicating About Your Team|
|Dealing With Difficult People|
|Putting It Together|
|Managing Your Public Image|
|KEYS to Excellence in Leadership|
|Part V: Presenting in the Workplace|
|The Importance of Presenting With Professional Excellence|
|Identifying Presentation Opportunities and Purposes|
|Speaking to Inform|
|Speaking to Persuade|
|KEYS to Excellence in Professional Presentations|
|Analyzing the Audience|
|Analyzing the Context|
|Organizing Your Presentation|
|KEYS to Excellence in Speech Design|
|Delivering a Presentation With Professional Excellence|
|PowerPoint and Other Supporting Aids|
|Practice Makes Perfect|
|KEYS to Excellence in Delivering a Speech|
|The Importance of Work–Life Balance|
|Triggers to Imbalance|
|Strategies for Balance|
|KEYS to Excellence With Work–Life Balance|
SAGE edge for students helps improve performance, enhance learning, and offers a personalized approach to coursework in an easy-to-use environment.
- A customized online action plan includes tips and feedback on progress through the course and materials, which allows students to individualize their learning experience.
- Mobile-friendly eFlashcards strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts.
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
- Chapter-specific learning objectives reinforce the most important material.
- Chapter-specific discussion questions help launch classroom interaction by prompting students to engage with the material and by reinforcing important content
- Carefully selected chapter-by-chapter video and multimedia content which enhance classroom-based explorations of key topics
- Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter.
SAGE edge for Instructors (Password Protected) supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students.
- Test banks provide a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity to edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding. Also available in Respondus software.
- Learning objectives reinforce the most important material
- Lecture notes summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help with preparation for lectures and class discussions.
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- Tables and Figures are available in an easily-downloadable format for use in papers, hand-outs, and presentations
- Sample course syllabi for semester, quarter, and online courses provide suggested models for structuring your course structure.
- Chapter-specific discussion questions help launch conversation by prompting students to engage with the material and by reinforcing important content.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles which have been carefully selected for each chapter. Each article supports and expands on the concepts presented in the chapter.
- Chapter exercises for individual or group projects provide lively and stimulating ideas for use in and out of class reinforce active learning.
- Video and Multimedia Links, including carefully selected chapter-by-chapter video and multimedia content which enhance classroom-based explorations of key topics.