Cases in Alliance Management
Building Successful Alliances
- Jean-Louis Schaan - University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Micheál J. Kelly - University of Ottawa, Canada
The Ivey Casebook Series
Drawn from best practices, this casebook provides a practical road map and real-life case studies to help students develop the necessary skills to design, negotiate, and manage domestic and international alliances. Editors Jean-Louis Schaan and Micheál J. Kelly have organized this book around the four major phases in the alliance formation and management process—strategic rationale, partner selection, negotiation, and implementation.
- Offers best practices in alliance management: Students are provided with state-of-the-art research findings and best practices about alliance management so that they have both a comprehensive understanding of alliance management challenges and practical ideas as to how managers approach them. Up-to-date references provide readers with the latest thinking and research.
- Provides flow charts for each phase of the alliance process: The material presented in the text provides a context for assessing the value of alliances to a business and its ability to pursue them. Step-by-step frameworks help students analyze each of the phases in the alliance process and develop their analytical skills.
- Presents a diverse array of real-life case studies: The case studies provide an opportunity to create different classroom learning experiences including case discussions, role plays, and negotiation exercises to enhance students' problem-solving and decision-making skills. The examples cover equity and non-equity alliances in a variety of industry sectors and regions of the world.
- Includes instructor's resources on CD-ROM with detailed 6-10 page casenotes for each case, preparation questions for students to review before class, discussion questions, and suggestied further readings.
The IVEY Casebook Series
Cases in Business Ethics
Cases in Entrepreneurship
Cases in Gender & Diversity in Organizations
Cases in Operations Management
Cases in Organizational Behavior
Cases in the Environment of Business
Cases in Alliance Management
Mergers and Acquisitions: Text and Cases
This book is highly practical and readable. The combination of introductory theory followed by detailed case studies is highly effective. The book's simple structure, based around the four key stages of building an alliance is also very good, and fits very well with the approach we take on our courses. Some further practical guidance on the negotiation process with reference to tools such as BATNA would be a useful addition.
Good range of courses, some of the biotech orientated, which was good. Unfortunately it was not easy to structure a semester long course around the book, but it seems as though it would be very good for a case on international management.
Rather limited theoretical foundation on the subject of strategic alliances. Cases focused on large companies.