Broadening the scope of environmental forces to a global rather than a domestic context leads to cross-country comparisons that add complexity to the subject matter, enrich analytical theories, and heighten the interest of students. Students gain an appreciation for the many ways in which environmental forces interact, creating a set of risks and opportunities that is unique in each country and that must be evaluated in formulating trade and investment decisions.
Cases in the Environment of Business offers an outstanding collection of relevant, classroom-tested cases. In discussing the cases, students will participate in managerial decisions in an international context. Most cases deal with a variety of environmental forces, but generally a single set of forces plays a predominant role. The instructor's resources on CD-ROM includes detailed 6-10 page casenotes for each case, preparation questions for students to review before class, discussion questions, and suggested further readings.
Cases in the Environment of Business addresses the following five sets of environmental forces:
- Industry Structure Responses to strategies of customers, suppliers, and competitors, ; dependence of profitability on unique value-added attributesand the shift of certain activities to low-wage countries
- Macroeconomic Variables Income levels and growth rates, foreign exchange rates, inflation rates, interest rates, and unemployment rates
- Political Variables Regulations, financial incentives, taxation, foreign investment restrictions, and international trade and investment agreements
- Societal Variables Labor and environmental practices, ethics, corporate social responsibility, boards of directors, and demographics
- Technological Variables Technological infrastructure and the pace and direction of technological changes, including, in particular, the Internet and e-business.
The IVEY Casebook Series
Cases in Business Ethics
Cases in Entrepreneurship
Cases in Gender & Diversity in Organizations
Cases in Operations Management
Cases in Organizational Behavior
Cases in the Environment of Business
Cases in Alliance Management
Mergers and Acquisitions: Text and Cases