"Very practical and user-friendly . . ."
--Linda R. Kroll, Professor
Department of Education, Mills College
Build student-centered learning into your standards-based curriculum and lesson plans!
Educators expect learners to solve problems, think critically, communicate effectively, and collaborate well. These complex processes require young learners to engage in active learning and to understand that their own experience is the foundation for new learning. They also require teachers to move from the traditional role of "sage on the stage" to the new role of "guide on the side."
Constructivist Learning Design offers teachers a six-step framework for lesson planning and assessment:
- Situation: develop goals, tasks, and curriculum standards
- Grouping: group students and materials, and use cooperative learning
- Bridge: recall prior knowledge using students' cognitive maps, skills, values, motivation, and expectations
- Task: use higher-level thinking skills and problem-based learning
- Exhibit: arrange student portfolios and work samples
- Reflection: synthesize critical thinking and knowledge
With clear classroom applications and ready-to-use planning templates, this research-based resource guides teachers through the complex process of aligning constructivist learning events with standards-based curriculum. Engage students in tasks, help them think for themselves, and support them in making meaning of their learning!