- A fully revised preface that explores the developments in consumer culture since the first edition. Among the most noteworthy areas discussed are the effect of global warming on consumption, the rise of the new rich, changes in the North/South divide and the new diversity of consumer culture.
- A major new chapter on 'Modernity and the Cultural Question'
- An update on postmodernism and the development of contemporary theory after postmodernism.
- An account of multiple and alternative modernities.
- The challenges of consumer culture in Japan and China.