The First Edition of this contemporary classic can claim to have put 'consumer culture' on the map, certainly in relation to postmodernism. This expanded new edition includes:
- A fully revised preface that explores the developments in consumer culture since the first edition. Among the most noteworthy areas discussed are the effect of global warming on consumption, the rise of the new rich, changes in the North/South divide and the new diversity of consumer culture.
- A major new chapter on 'Modernity and the Cultural Question'
- An update on postmodernism and the development of contemporary theory after postmodernism.
- An account of multiple and alternative modernities.
- The challenges of consumer culture in Japan and China.
Modern and Postmodern
Theories Of Consumer Culture
Towards a Sociology Of Postmodern Culture
Cultural Change and Social Practice
The Aestheticization of Everyday Life
Lifestyle and Consumer Culture
City Cultures and Postmodern Lifestyles
Consumer Culture and Global Disorder
Common Culture or Uncommon Cultures?
The Globalization of Diversity
Modernity and the Cultural Question