"This timely, user-friendly book provides inservice and preservice ESL teachers with the background and tools needed to implement Web 2.0 technologies in their classes today. The ELLs in these classrooms will benefit from learning English (and content) through rich and motivating technologies such as blogs, wikis, podcasts, visual media, social networking, and Second Life. Designed for teachers who need some guidance in using technology as a teaching tool, this handbook is very easy to follow and provides step by step instructions for even the most inexperienced 'digital (non) natives'!"
—Holly Hansen-Thomas, Assistant Professor of Bilingual and ESL Education
Texas Woman's University
Discover how Web 2.0 tools can advance English language learning!
Today's interactive Web tools offer teachers of English language learners a wealth of opportunities to inspire and motivate their students. This user-friendly, research-based guide shows how the "read/write" Web can enhance classroom learning and extend English language acquisition beyond school hours.
Lori Langer de Ramirez, a nationally known expert on ESL teaching and curriculum development, offers strategies for both ESL and mainstream classroom environments. Aligned with national TESOL standards, this resource provides:
- A step-by-step guide for a wide range of relevant Web tools/activities, from blogs and podcasts to social networking and more
- Classroom-ready projects designed to benefit learners' social and academic language development
- Guidance on how and when to use Web tools with elementary, middle, and high school students
- Personal narratives from teachers who have successfully used Web tools to teach English language learners
- Teacher-tested and parent-approved guidelines for safe and appropriate Internet use
Support your students in gaining language proficiency and 21st-century skills through working with creative, collaborative Web tools!
Great thanks to teachers in Worcester, MA for sharing this video on how they are using the book to improve student achievement.