Theory, Research and Practice
- David F. Marks - Arles, France
- Michael Murray - University of Keele, UK
- Emee Vida Estacio - Keele University, UK
Health psychology students will need to understand how to evaluate and critically-appraise the latest theory and research before it can be applied. This fully-revised and updated Fifth Edition takes a critical approach and places health psychology in a real-world context, enabling students to understand how public policy, theory and research can influence communities and individuals alike.
The new Fifth Edition includes:
- 9 new and expanded chapters
- Updated material on stress and coping, doctor-patient communication, death, dying, bereavement and quality of life
- Introductions to the social, political and economic conditions that influence our health
- Breadth of coverage from social inequality through to chronic illness and screening
This book also comes with access to fantastic online resources including multiple choice quizzes, case studies, test banks and slides that can be easily integrated into your institution's virtual learning environment or learning management system. This allows you to customize and curate content for use in module preparation, delivery and assessment. For instructions on how to upload the resources you want, please visit the Instructors' page or alternatively, contact your local SAGE sales representative.
• Chapter outlines for each chapter to recap the learning objectives and reinforce the most important material
• Case studies give you an insight into Health Psychology in Australia
• Multiple choice quizzes allow you to assess your understanding of key chapter concepts
• Links to videos that offer a new perspective on material covered in the book
• Glossary flashcards help you strengthen your understanding of key terms and concepts
• PowerPoint slides featuring figures, tables and key topics from the book can be downloaded and customized for use in your own presentations.
• Testbank of multiple choice questions for each chapter which you can be edited and used to set assignments or exams.
• Case studies which offer insight into Health Psychology in Australia
• Ability to easily upload all the lecturer and student resources into your institution’s learning management system/ virtual learning system (i.e. your Blackboard or Moodle), and customise the content to suit your teaching needs.
An essential text for both graduate and undergraduate health psychology courses, the authors elegantly and comprehensively explore health psychology in the 21st century. The fifth edition further advances a critical perspective on health while introducing readers to emerging issues such as long-term conditions and end-of-life care.
Marks and colleagues' capacity to provide a global perspective, while including elements of social justice, with a consideration of the social and political determinants of health, makes this text an invaluable companion when introducing undergraduates to the field of health psychology.
This was the textbook previously used and adopted and I like it.
Excellent reference book packed with several topics in health care; will highly recommend to all students, lecturers and clinical practitioners in Allied health, nursing and medicine
Gives a lot of detail on a number of topics within Health Psychology
Comprehensive guide for students containing relevant and contemporary issues in health psychology
I am responsible for a Health psychology course offered at a postgraduate level in Public Health. My students have limited previous "exposure" to Health Psychology. For this reason I found that the particular text book combines both the introductory necessary knowledge for Health psychology and the necessary "depth" required for a postgraduate level of studies.
The books offers the most recent advancements in the core Health psychology. At the same time, the authors put the discipline in a wider social context which fits exactly with the goals of a course offered in a Public Health School.
Regarding the structure, the boxes in the chapters and the Glossary at the end of the books are extremely useful. I also found very helpful for implementing the course in the class, some of the online resources, like multiple choice questions and You Tube videos.
Given the sparsity of Health Psychology books in Greece I would think the current textbook as a valuable contribution, and I'd welcome its Greek translation.
Associate Professor of Health Psychology
National School of Public Health
Fantastic resource with some contentious and challenging concepts for healthcare professionals
Nine new and expanded chapters:
2. The Nervous, Endocrine and Immune Systems, and Principle of Homeostasis
3. Genetics, epigenetics and lifespan development
8. Theories, models and interventions
9. Sexual Health
22. Coronary heart disease
23. HIV infection and AIDS: the pinnacle of stigma and victim blaming
24. Long-term conditions: diabetes and ME/CFS
25. End of life care, dying and death
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 19: Medicine Taking: Adherence & Resistance