Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers
- Derek Haylock - Education Consultant
- Ralph Manning
‘This user-friendly interactive book makes concepts simple and gives you the confidence and knowledge to learn and teach mathematics to primary children. You can conveniently access easily digestible content to build and test your knowledge. It’s a must have on any teachers book shelf!’
SAGE Primary Mathematics Student Panel
- LESSON PLANS AND WORKSHEETS: Save time with ideas and resources for planning your lessons.
- PROBLEM SOLVED! VIDEOS: Visualise how to solve a question by watching a quick animated demonstration.
- LEARNING AND TEACHING POINTS: Feel confident in the classroom with these key points to remember when planning and teaching.
- QUESTIONS AND QUIZZES: Achieve a firm grasp of concepts and a clear understanding with self-assessment questions and quizzes.
- FREE INTERACTIVE EBOOK: Study anywhere with your portable and convenient eBook!
USE ME WITH...
Student Workbook Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers 6th Edition 9781526424686
A well-written and accessible text for trainee teachers who are worried about teaching maths
This is an excellent book for primary trainees.
School based trainee teachers do not have many opportunities to look for supportive reading materials for their career. I like to recommend this for this group to help them with mathematics pedagogy in training and beyond.
This book is a key text for trainee teachers to refer to throughout their course.
Haylock and Manning's latest edition of this publication is still not improved enough in the numeracy section for me to recommend this to students. There is still a huge reliance in the book of using bare numbers to explain concepts and a lack of use of concrete resources or visuals to demonstrate conceptual understanding and how to teach these concepts effectively to children. Major teaching points in number have been missed and the emphasis of using Dienes material and money for exploring place value and pre-partitioned shapes for fractions is unhelpful.
Haylock always delivers and the access to additional online resources is great
Helpful book for both new students and potential ITT students.
Continues to be the strongest support for developing primary teacher subject knowledge
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1: Primary Teachers’ Insecurity about Mathematics