—COMMUNICATION RESEARCH TRENDS
Well-informed, thoughtful and transnational in its perspectives, Downing and Husband¦s work is likely to become the key text in the field. The book is essential reading for anyone interested in the politics of race and representation - Professor Daya K. Thussu, University of Westminster, UK
The Media play a diverse and significant role in the practical expression of racism and in the everyday politics of ethnicity. Written by two veterans of research on media and 'race', this book offers a fresh comparative analyses of the issues and sets out the key agendas for future study.
Representing 'Race': racisms, ethnicities and media
- Introduces and evaluates key conceptual issues
- Provides a conceptual framework for understanding the role of the media
- Addresses a number of pressing political concerns including 'racial'justice and the drift to the Right
- Includes a wide range of contemporary examples from Britain,
the USA, Europe, Australia.
- Analyzes the growth of indigenous people's media
- Compares media representations of 'race', 'religion', 'tribe',
- Assesses current strategies for reforming professional media
practice in this sphere.
Drawing on years of research, this book provides both a major intervention in the debate, as well as a comprehensive introduction to the area. As such, it will be required reading for anyone interested in 'race', representation and the media.