Teaching Reading [Higher-Ed Version]
A Playbook for Developing Skilled Readers Through Word Recognition and Language Comprehension
- Douglas Fisher - San Diego State University, USA
- Nancy Frey - San Diego State University, USA
- Diane Lapp - San Diego State University, USA
Teaching Reading is the comprehensive guide you can trust for evidence-based reading practices.
This edition provides free access to teaching ancillaries including lesson launchers, facilitator's notes, discussion board prompts, test banks, storyboards, and embedded tasks and assignments.
It's settled science: developing skilled readers can enhance students’ lives. That’s why renowned educators Douglas Fisher, Nancy Frey, and Diane Lapp wrote this resource with the urgency of a code blue in an ER—because too many children, for many reasons, struggle with learning to become strong readers.
Designed to be a one-stop shop for best practices, Teaching Reading is concise, encyclopedic, and essential. Thirteen interactive modules provide easy to read ideas to support you teaching every child to read very well. You will learn how to:
- Focus on two critical aspects of reading—word recognition and language comprehension.
- Select the best activities to support students in grades K-6 to learn letters and sound relationships.
- Provide developing readers with the most effective oral, written, and reading experiences.
- Recharge your confidence and craft with uplifting new research findings from neuroscience, cognitive science, and child development.
- Clear up confusions about phonics progressions, reading fluency, morphology, text selection, grammar, and more.
- Develop background knowledge, vocabulary, and comprehension instruction.
- Be up to date on how to help students attain deeper levels of comprehension by applying Theory of Mind and other cutting-edge ideas.
Reading is a thrilling but complex process. It involves a heady mix of skills, schema, self-concept, and social dimensions. To give all students the chance to reap its rewards, we need a go-big kind of resource. This is it.