"Here's a book you'll use over and over again. It's a practical, easy-to-use resource for every teacher who wants his or her students to be better readers and writers. Packed with activities, suggestions, and ideas—it's hard to decide which one to try first!"
Tita Mallory, Director of Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
Aberdeen School District, WA
"It's all here! Anderson has included everything from research on effective literacy to specific instructional strategies to use in your classroom tomorrow."
Mike Nelson, Assistant Superintendent
Enumclaw School District, WA
"A hands-on book for teachers to create engaging learning opportunities for students. A comprehensive guide that will become the teacher's best friend."
Linda Holliman, Education Consultant
Are You Getting the Results You Want From Your Reading and Writing Instruction?
This outstanding resource book provides research-based, practical ideas for creating a complete balanced reading and writing program that will make a difference for your students. There is a wealth of information including the following:
- Descriptions and implementation ideas for each component of a balanced reading and writing program
- Checklists for reviewing your own literacy program
- Effective strategies for teaching word study, fluency, and comprehension
- Vocabulary instructional strategies that expand students' comprehension and word knowledge
- Specific pre-reading, during-reading, and after-reading strategies that increase students' comprehension of fiction and nonfiction text
- Practical ideas for teaching writing skills in context
- Innovative ways of meeting the needs of struggling readers
- 50 tips any educator can use to positively impact students' reading performance
- 101 ideas for involving families in your literacy program
- Extensive lists of outstanding instructional materials
- Suggestions for ensuring that effective school practices are in place to positively impact your students' literacy performance
If you are looking for ideas and tips that can impact your students' reading and writing, this book provides hundreds of classroom-proven suggestions designed for new teachers, experienced teachers, and administrators.