The Handbook of Social Policy
- James Midgley - University of California - Berkeley
- Michelle Livermore - Louisiana State University, USA
Social Welfare Policy/Social Policy
New to the Second Edition
- Provides up-to-date policies and references to include the latest information on social policy
- Offers a state of the art account of American social policy at the beginning of the 21st century
- Presents contributions, including more case studies and examples, from leading experts in their respective areas challenge the norm in thinking about social welfare policy
- Focuses more attention on diverse populations and international issues
- Includes added content to reflect the areas that have received increased attention such as advocacy, policy practice, immigration issues, discrimination, and more
This is excellent text for advanced undergraduate and graduate courses such as History of Social Policy, Education and Social Policy, and International Social Policy in the fields of social policy, public policy and administration, and social work.
The book is essential as most of the Part 1 & 11 (chapter 1-6; 12-19 are extremely relevant for our context. I will prescribe it for 2014 henceforth as I already have been using another South African book for the past 4 years.
The book was difficult to read and did not cover much of the subject matter in my course material.