“The On-Your-Feet Guide provides a great reminder of the 5 strategies for formative assessment. It is a great way to increase the impact on mathematics education in the classroom. It’s a must-have to keep those strategies fresh in your mind. Too often we forget the key ideas from a book- this guide serves as a quick reminder of the key points.”—Kevin Dykema, 8th Grade Math Teacher, Mattawan, MI
Formative assessment is frequently thought of as something “extra” when really it should be integral to what teachers and students are actually doing within a mathematics lesson. Skip Fennell, Beth Kobett, and Jon Wray show that when used regularly, the Formative 5 assessment techniques represent viable, classroom-validated, in-the-moment practices for monitoring your students’ mathematics learning and identifying your instructional next steps.
This On-Your-Feet Guide provides:
- A brief look at each of five every-day formative assessment techniques: Interviews, Observations, Show Me, Hinge Questions, and Exit Tasks
- Critical questions and tools for implementing each technique.
- Special considerations and ways to assess your effectiveness in order to plan your next mathematics lesson.
- Brief videos with comments from authors and teachers along with classroom footage showing the Formative Five in action.
- Using the Formative 5 daily in your planning and teaching will truly influence student learning.