Trainees in all mental health professions need basic knowledge of the key therapeutic approaches in counseling & psychotherapy. This is the essential companion, placing specific emphasis on practical application to guide the reader in the 'how to' of conducting each therapeutic model.
Approaches covered include established models such as CBT, psychodynamic psychotherapy, systemic therapy and solution-focused brief therapy, and more recent additions to mainstream therapy like mindfulness and narrative therapy. Each chapter is written by an up-and-coming name in the field, offering a unique insight into the challenges and possibilities of training in each model. The book:
- Includes case examples from a wide range of mental health care settings
- Embedded with worksheets, sample questions and diagrams
- Highlights challenges, strengths and weaknesses of each approach
- Details the background and practical application of therapeutic models
- Discusses evidence-based practice and outcomes
Written in language familiar to first-year trainees and using a range of features to enhance learning, this pocket guide is ideal for those embarking on training across counseling, psychotherapy, psychology, health, nursing, and social work.