The Politics of United States Foreign Policy
- James M. Scott - Texas Christian University
- Jerel A. Rosati
—Matthew Zierler, Michigan State University
What are the factors that shape and determine the foreign policy choices of the United States?
The Politics of United States Foreign Policy helps students consider the players, processes, and politics that drive U.S. decisions and involvement in foreign policy. James Scott and Jerel Rosati emphasize that society, government, and global forces have a role to play in the struggle over competing values when it comes to foreign policymaking. The book discusses historical patterns, the president’s ability to influence both at home and abroad, and the tension between democracy and national security.
Now at CQ Press, the Seventh Edition has been updated to cover developments since the end of the Obama administration, the transition to the Trump administration, the challenges of changing international and domestic contexts, and the increasingly partisan political environment. The authors provide a comprehensive text that blends substance, theory, and stimulating analysis.
Password-protected instructor resources include the following:
- Test banks provide a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity to edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding.
- Instructors manual summarizes key concepts by chapter and provides engaging discussion questions and class activities
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for the course
- Tables and figures from the book are available for download.
“This is a deep and well-thought out framework for studying U.S. foreign policy. Its focus on institutions and decision-making sets it apart from other texts, and its ability to help students think systematically and empirically is a major plus”
“The best and most comprehensive overview on American foreign policy available”
“The most comprehensive and thorough overview available of the stakeholders, institutions, and dynamics that shape the politics of U.S. foreign policy.”
“One of the best foreign policy books available.”
“This is an insightful and analytic introduction to United States foreign policy. And yet, the book is very readable. Students will be challenged to engage with the complexities of the policymaking process. This book will be eye opening for them.”
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1 Understanding the Politics of US Foreign Policy
Chapter 2 Government and the Policymaking Process