“Pamela Koutrakos breaks it down for the novice and streamlines word study for the old pro.” – Jeff Anderson, author of Patterns of Power
Take word learning to the next level in your classroom
Hungry for lively and engaging ways to augment word study? Looking for ways to empower your students and give voice to their ideas? In Word Study That Sticks, teacher and literacy consultant Pamela Koutrakos provides a step-by-step approach that makes word learning jubilant and fun – and encourages students to take ownership of word learning.
This hands-on guide connects research with experience to deliver challenging, discovery-based instructional practices that can support all learners in any subject area. You’ll learn how to
- Set up the physical classroom, prioritize materials, and launch activities
- Instill curiosity and a self-starting attitude toward vocabulary development
- Devise routines that highlight phonemic awareness, phonics, meaning, and spelling
- Differentiate and personalize word study activities
- Embed word study into all content areas for transfer of learning
Word Study That Sticks can be used alone or in conjunction with another program to help you take word learning to the next level. Lesson ideas, word study routines, charts, photos, key practices, and special advice for beginning teachers make word study instruction accessible for educators working at every experience level.