Addressing Learning Disabilities and Difficulties
How to Reach and Teach Every Student
- Gilbert Guerin - San José State University, USA
- Mary C. Male - San José State University, USA
Learning Disabilities - Methods
Help children with learning difficulties or learning disabilities excel in the general education classroom!
Help struggling students avert failure before it becomes chronic and destructive to their self-esteem and motivation! Drawing from the collective experience of professionals and parents who have successfully worked with students with learning disabilities and difficulties, and including the latest information from IDEA 2004 and NCLB, this revised edition of I Can Learn provides a wealth of best practices and policies specifically designed to help these students not only participate in but also excel in the general education classroom. Readers will discover:
- Characteristics of specific learning and performance difficulties and disabilities
- Strategies to improve learning skills such as listening comprehension, ability to pay attention, mathematical reasoning, and reading word recognition
- Strategies to enhance spelling, verbal and written expression, test-taking, and appropriate social behavior
- Information about the referral process, determination of eligibility for special services, and provision of services to students with specific learning disabilities
- School practices that support the success of all students
This clear and concise reference offers educators and parents the support and tools they need to reduce special education referrals and help all students experience successful outcomes!
"This quick reference reflects 2004 amendments to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and recent developments for working with children and youth with learning disabilities and learning differences."
—From the Preface