"Here is a book that challenges educators to put aside outmoded images of what is unlikely to push education far or fast enough to make a difference. Underlying each chapter is the belief and the 'how to' that allows for the development of a community culture that matches the changing condition of a changing society and student success."
Lee Mahon, Professor/Mentor, Doctoral Studies
The Fielding Institute, Santa Barbara, CA
Proven tactics for embracing diversity and effacing inequity!
Meeting the unique educational needs of increasingly multicultural and economically diverse student populations has become a serious challenge that afflicts countless schools across the country. This guide, grounded in more than 30 years of field research, presents pointed, practical solutions for ensuring equitable access to quality education for all students, regardless of socioeconomic status and cultural heritage.
Written in a user-friendly format, Leveraging Resources for Student Success highlights effective leadership strategies for decision makers and educators at all levels. It offers visionary yet realistic techniques for building a school culture, as well as policies and procedures that cater to and empower diverse students—resulting in enhanced student and teacher performance.
Special features of this definitive book include
- Invaluable work sheets and sample plans for easy self-evaluation and implementation
- Specific "Survival Strategies" that have been successfully utilized in urban schools
- Tips for cultivating and maximizing community relationships to obtain resources
- Straightforward assessment methods to authentically measure change
- Real-life examples of principal and teacher practices that have worked