The go-to legal resource for principals, fully updated!
How often does a potential legal concern arise at your school? Familiarity with the law helps principals maintain safe and equitable school communities and minimize legal risk. Expanded and updated, this trusted resource provides clear and helpful guidance from a team of respected school-law experts.
The authors give an overview of key court cases that have shaped today’s school laws and then describe how to prepare for and appropriately handle sensitive situations. This third edition includes substantive new information that shows principals how to
- Address student use and misuse of technology, on and off campus
- Avoid the pitfalls of zero-tolerance discipline policies
- Lead school safety and violence prevention initiatives, including collaborating with school resource officers and other personnel
- Prevent and respond to bullying incidents
- Stay current with special education requirements
- Ensure that employment and evaluation practices reflect the law
This valuable reference supports your sound decision-making, helping you uphold the law and protect your school community.
“Hachiya, Shoop, and Dunklee make a distinct contribution to the field. Rather than a review of legal cases, the book addresses risk management. This approach to the legal aspects of the day-to-day operations of a school is a useful planning guide as well as a resource when questions arise.”
—Cynthia Church, Principal
G. Stanley Hall Elementary School, Glendale Heights, IL
“The examples, vignettes, and cases are extremely helpful in assisting principals to accurately implement statutory law and case law in public school settings. It also has a unique design that can assist practicing school administrators deal with legal issues but not require the school administrator to become a lawyer."
—Thomas J. McCormack, Professor and Chair of Counseling, Foundations, and Leadership
Columbus State University
Preface and Advisement
About the Authors
1. Preventive Law: Developing Risk and Crisis Management Programs
2. The School and the Legal Environment
3. Constitutional and Statutory Foundations of Staff Selection, Contracting, and Evaluation
4. Teachers' Rights
5. Students' Rights
6. Student Discipline
7. Principal's Role in Special Education Services
8. Academic Issues and Student Records
9. Copyright Law
10. Search and Seizure
11. Program Management
12. Students' Use of Technology, Social Media, and Other Emerging Cyber Issues
13. Sexual Harassment
14. Danger Creation
15. Duty and Standards of Care: Liability for Negligence