Using Equity Audits in the Classroom to Reach and Teach All Students
- Kathryn Bell McKenzie - Texas A&M University, College Station & California State University, Stanislaus - Professor Emerita
- Linda Skrla - Texas A&M University, USA
Foreword by Christine Sleeter
Raise your equity awareness quotient
In this time of changing demographics and increased diversity, many teachers find that existing strategies to promote equity are only successful with some of the students in their classes. This book provides teachers with new strategies and tools that will work for all children, including those with diverse needs. The authors outline a wide range of methods to help teachers:
- Assess their competency in teaching all students
- Embrace self-reflection and be open to change
- Evaluate and assess student achievement
- Develop high-quality teaching skills and an equity consciousness that leads to success with all students
Every chapter of this easy-to-read and content-rich text contains a wealth of assessment tools and discussion tools that guide educators to greater equity and excellence. Teachers will find practical strategies for raising student achievement and closing the achievement gap.
"Equity audits are critical to improving the services we provide in today's diverse classroom. It is crucial that teachers and administrators see the inequities in the system and establish the protocols necessary to level the field."
“It is essential, but woefully insufficient, to desire excellence and equity. We need detailed, evidence-based, practical maps and guides. This powerful, useful book will chart our path beyond current inequities toward the assurance of quality teaching and learning for all.”
Equity is a main focus of the class.