Viewing transportation through the lens of current social, economic, and policy aspects, this four-volume reference work explores the topic of transportation across multiple disciplines within the social sciences and related areas, including geography, public policy, business, and economics.
- Approximately 675 signed articles authored by prominent scholars are arranged in A-to-Z fashion and conclude with Further Readings and cross references.
- A Chronology helps readers put individual events into historical context; a Reader’s Guide organizes entries by broad topical or thematic areas; a detailed index helps users quickly locate entries of most immediate interest; and a Resource Guide provides a list of journals, books, and associations and their websites.
- While articles were written to avoid jargon as much as possible, a Glossary provides quick definitions of technical terms.
- To ensure full, well-rounded coverage of the field, the General Editor with expertise in urban planning, public policy, and the environment worked alongside a Consulting Editor with a background in Civil Engineering.
- The index, Reader’s Guide, and cross references combine for thorough search-and-browse capabilities in the electronic edition.
Available in both print and electronic formats, Encyclopedia of Transportation is an ideal reference for libraries and those who want to explore the issues that surround transportation in the United States and around the world.
- Administration, Operations, and Evaluation
- Air Transportation Systems
- Economics of Transportation
- Energy, Environmental, and
- Health Impacts
- Facilities and Infrastructure
- Intermodal Transportation Systems
- International Transportation and Policy
- Labor Issues/Employee Relations
- Planning and Policy
- Safety and Security
- Social Issues in Transportation
- Surface Transportation Systems
- Technology, Design, and Engineering
- Transportation, Finance of
- Transportation Legislation
- Transportation Modeling
- Transportation Organizations and Agencies
- Travel Behavior and Research
- Water Transportation Systems