Essentials of Sociology, Third Edition, adapted from George Ritzer’s Introduction to Sociology, provides the same rock-solid foundation from one of sociology's best-known thinkers in a shorter and more streamlined format. Ritzer and new co-author Wendy Wiedenhoft Murphy continue to illuminate traditional sociological concepts and theories and focus on some of the most compelling features of contemporary social life: globalization, consumer culture, the internet, and the “McDonaldization” of society. With examples on every page from current events and contemporary research, and stories about “public” sociologists who are engaging with the critical issues of today, the text demonstrates the power of sociology to explain the world and the diversity of questions that sociologists seek to answer.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
Includes access to SAGE Premium Video, multimedia tools, and much more!
Save when you bundle the Interactive eBook with the new edition.
Order using bundle ISBN: 978-1-5443-2070-0
FREE! Easily import our quality instructor and student resource content, including resources from ASA’s TRAILS, into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time.
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier.
Instructors: The following online resources are included FREE with this text. For a brief demo, contact your sales representative today.
Instructor Teaching Site
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
SAGE coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including
o Diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
o Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
o Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
o Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
- Assignable SAGE Premium Video (available via the interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE coursepacks), curated and produced exclusively for this text, brings concepts to life and appeals to different learning styles, featuring
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- Links to exceptional teaching resources from A.S.A.’s TRAILS (Teaching Resources and Innovation Library for Sociology) chosen specifically for this text
- An MCAT Guide for students that maps chapter content to sociology standards on the MCAT test and connects students with free online MCAT study-and-review websites
- EXCLUSIVE, influential SAGE journal and reference content, built into course materials and assessment tools, that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures you can customize to your exact needs so you don’t have to start from scratch
- Sample course syllabi with suggested structuring models that give you options to customize your course in a way that is perfect for you
- Lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you prepare for lectures and class discussions
- Integrated links to the interactive eBook, which makes it easy for your students to maximize their study time with this “anywhere, anytime” mobile-friendly version of the text and offers access to more digital tools and resources, including SAGE Premium Video
- All tables and figures from the textbook
SAGE EDGE FOR STUDENTS enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts and make it easy to maximize student study time, anywhere, anytime
- eQuizzes that allow students to assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention
- Chapter summaries with learning objectives that reinforce the most important material
- Chapter-specific study questions that allow students to engage with the material
- Multimedia resources that bring concepts to life, are tied to learning objectives, and are curated and produced exclusively for this text
- Exclusive access to influential SAGE journal and reference content that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning