A step-by-step guide to transforming student learning with value-added analysis
Value-added analysis is the most robust, statistically significant method available for helping educators quantify student progress over time. This powerful tool also reveals tangible strategies for improving instruction. Built around the work of Battelle for Kids, this book provides a field-tested continuous improvement model for using value-added information to increase student learning. The five-step process shows how to:
- Create the conditions for success
- Examine district, school, and classroom reports to assess strengths and challenges
- Use these reports to create an improvement plan
- Implement instructional changes
- Evaluate and adjust the changes as the new school year starts
Each chapter includes case studies, real-life examples, action steps, and reflective questions in addition to numerous tools, samples, and protocols for implementing the model. By focusing on specific professional practices associated with gains in student performance, conversations shift from blame to analysis, from defensiveness to professional learning, and from micromanagement to inquiry—a fresh perspective that results in student success!