Introduction to Criminal Justice
A Balanced Approach
- Brian K. Payne - Old Dominion University, USA
- Willard M. Oliver - Sam Houston State University, USA
- Nancy E. Marion - University of Akron, USA
“Very thorough text that makes great use of high-profile cases to engage students and foster a passion for criminal justice.”
—Patricia Ahmed, South Dakota State University
Introduction to Criminal Justice, Second Edition, provides students with balanced, comprehensive, and up-to-date coverage of all aspects of the criminal justice system. Authors Brian K. Payne, Willard M. Oliver, and Nancy E. Marion cover criminal justice from a student-centered perspective by identifying the key issues confronting today’s criminal justice professionals. Students are presented with objective, research-driven material through an accessible and concise writing style that makes the content easier to comprehend. By exploring criminal justice from a broad and balanced perspective, students will understand how decision making is critical to the criminal justice process and their future careers.
The fully updated Second Edition has been completely revised to include new studies and current examples that are relatable to today’s students. Two new feature boxes have been added to this edition to help students comprehend and apply the content. “You Have the Right to…” gives insight into several Constitutional amendments and their relationship with criminal justice today; and “Politics and Criminal Justice” explores current political hot topics surrounding the justice system and the debates that occur on both sides of the political aisle.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
SAGE Premium Video
Included in the interactive eBook!
SAGE Premium Video tools and resources boost comprehension and bolster analysis. Learn more.
FREE! Easily import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more.
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier. See how your students benefit.
Careers in Criminal Justice, Second Edition
Prepare students to plan, pursue, and realize their career goals!
Save when you bundle Careers in Criminal Justice, 2e with the new edition by Payne. Order using bundle ISBN: 978-1-5443-2487-6. Learn more.
Includes access to SAGE Premium Video, multimedia tools, and much more!
Save when you bundle the interactive eBook with the new edition. Order using bundle ISBN: 978-1-5443-2613-9. Learn more.
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s LMS. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
· required access codes
· learning a new system
Say YES to…
· using only the content you want and need
· high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
SAGE coursepacks and SAGE edge include the following features:
· Our content delivered directly into your LMS
· Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
· Pedagogically robust assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
o Diagnostic chapter pre-tests and post-tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
o Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
o Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provide
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
· Sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for structuring your courses.
· Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
· Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter is included.
· Lecture notes summarize key concepts by chapter to help you prepare for lectures and class discussions.
· Video resources bring concepts to life, are tied to learning objectives and make learning easier
· Chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
Interactive eBook Version
The interactive ebook version includes:
· Assignable SAGE Premium Video that is tied to learning objectives, and curated and produced exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life and appeal to different learning styles, featuring:
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options
- Career insights from professionals in the field, Associated Press videos, and author discussions of tough concepts
· Interactive data literacy exercises draw from the SAGE Knowledge platform, which will help students not only to understand data, but also to manipulate, critically analyze, and draw conclusions from it.
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment
· Mobile-friendly eFlashcards strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts.
· Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
· Video resources bring concepts to life, are tied to learning objectives, and enhance exploration of key topics.
· Access to full-text SAGE journal articles have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1. Introduction to Criminal Justice
Chapter 3. An Introduction to Measuring Crime and Crime Patterns