Making Teaching Work
Teaching Smarter in Post-Compulsory Education
- Phil Race - Independent Consultant
- Ruth Pickford - Leeds Metropolitan University, UK
The authors emphasise 'teaching smarter' - helping busy, hard-pressed teachers to increase the efficiency as well as effectiveness of their work. Written with both full-time and part-time staff in mind, this book allows teaching staff to balance the various tasks which make up their workload, including the increasing paperwork and administration they encounter whilst carrying out assessment, teaching and providing feedback to students.
The book addresses a wide range of aspects of assessment, learning and teaching in post-compulsory education including:
- How to provide a supportive learning environment - including online learning
- How to design and manage formative assessment and feedback
- How to support diverse students - including addressing and achieving student satisfaction
- Developing teaching - including lecturing, small-group teaching, supporting individual learning and dealing with disruptive students
- How to use research to improve teaching
- Creatively designing curriculum
- Promoting student employability
- Broadening horizons - including widening and deepening participation
- Addressing and achieving student satisfaction
It is a self-sufficient and thought-provoking resource about teaching and learning for all practitioners in post-compulsory education.
Very readable resource with useful practical advice and tips for teaching
Initially I wanted to look at this book to develop my teaching to help understand and gain ideas for my teaching practice, especially as I have had CPD delivered by Phil Race. A good book for those starting out at HE level. Perhaps a newer edition is due?
Useful tool and useful quotes for any PGCE student. Helpful and practical.
An extremely useful book to support teachers and trainers of all levels of delivery. This is user friendly and easy to read.
Interesting read, would recommend for professional development.
Relevant and up to date. Well structured and easy to read.
A crucial textbook that links in accessible understanding with under pinning theory. Race delivers yet again. We have since ordered 5 copies in via the libray
Fantastic- Race really does put into practice within this book smarter ways of teaching. This is a book that all teachers should have to refer back to on all occasions.
Phil Race provides useful advice on dealing with many of the issues facing lecturers in HE today. Based on sound pedagogic principles, the information provided is helpful to both those new to teaching in post-compulsory education and established lecturers wanting to ring the changes.
Essential reading therefore for all lecturers!
Phil Race presents information in a user friendly style.The book has lots of hints and tips .It is a useful text for the new trainee teacher.