Mental Health Medicines Management for Nurses
May 2021 | 400 pages | Learning Matters
Mental Health Medicines Management for Nurses provides nursing students with guidance on how to manage medicines safely and effectively when treating patients with mental health conditions. It outlines how psychiatric drugs work, what the common treatments are, the ethical, legal, and person-centred aspects of working with psychiatric medicines, and how medicines can and should be used in mental health care. Using innovative activities and real-life case studies, this book has been carefully designed to be the ideal resource to build knowledge and confidence in this important area of practice.
- Updated in-line with the latest NMC standards of proficiency for registered nurses.
- Includes clear explanations of both the underlying biology and pharmacology as well as the wider practicalities of working with medicines.
- Highlights the most common mental health conditions and associated treatments, including coverage of the possible side effects for all drugs described in the book.
- NEW: Increased emphasis on prescribing with new content on consultation, history taking, and decision-making when prescribing.
- NEW: Updated sections on ethics, consent, pharmacokinetics, antipsychotics, and adverse drug reactions.
Chapter 1: Legal and ethical aspects of medicines management in mental health
Chapter 2: The therapeutic alliance and the promotion of adherence to psychotropic medication
Chapter 3: Essential anatomy and physiology of the brain related to psychopharmacology
Chapter 4: Principles of pharmacology and medicine interactions
Chapter 5: Principles of prescribing and medicines administration
Chapter 6: Management and treatment of major depression
Chapter 7: Management and treatment of bipolar disorder
Chapter 8: Management and treatment of psychotic disorders
Chapter 9: Management and treatment of dementias
Chapter 10: Management and treatment of anxiety disorders
Chapter 11: Management and treatment of substance use disorders
Chapter 12: Adverse drug reactions and the management of medicine side effects
This is a fantastic book - that really helps our students prepare for practice
School of Health Sciences, Liverpool University
May 4, 2023
excellent personal reference book
Nursing, University of the Highlands And Islands
August 23, 2022
This is a very useful book (now updated) and students found it helpful for their medicines management unit.
Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, Bedfordshire University
May 19, 2022
Mental health focus but appropriate for all disciplines. Clear, easy to navigate and read
Faculty of Health and Human Sciences, Plymouth University
July 6, 2022