Mentoring in Action: Guiding, Sharing, and Reflecting With Novice Teachers
A Month-by-Month Curriculum for Teacher Effectiveness
Foreword by Ellen Moir
Corwin Teaching Essentials
Student Teaching/Field Experience
The support you need for mindful mentoring and sustainable teacher success!
Novice teachers bring vitality and optimism to schools. Our role as mentors is to empower novice teachers to grow in their practice and emerge as the leaders of the future. Newly revised and updated, the 2nd edition of Mentoring in Action emphasizes a unique approach: mindful mentoring that aligns your conversations to teaching standards to prepare novice teachers for their teacher evaluation.
In this book you’ll learn the importance of teacher leadership and how mentoring can influence teacher effectiveness. This flexible twelve-month curriculum helps you:
- Plan mentoring conversations and observations
- Differentiate support to meet the varied needs of novice teachers
- Set goals to prevent teacher burnout by sharing social and emotional learning skills
- Gather regular student feedback from student work samples and surveys
- Integrate the updated INTASC Standards into mentoring conversations
This updated edition includes QR codes and a robust companion website featuring videos, downloadable forms, and a Mentor Planning Guide and Journal for reflection. Transform your mentoring experience by confidently mentoring your novice teachers with this comprehensive guide!“Filled with decades of her own teaching, research, and mentoring wisdom, Radford offers a guide to building the mentoring relationship, examples of mentoring in action, and instructions and modeling of purposeful mentoring conversations.”
Dr. Kirsten Olsen, Author of Wounded By School and The Mindful School Leader
“The best mentorship programs include support for the mentors, not just for new teachers. This book provides a roadmap for individual teacher-mentors or those in charge of mentoring programs. Everyone in a position of leadership should read and use this book."
Barbara Levin, Professor and Author of Every Teacher a Leader
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Use with The First Years Matter, the companion guide for novice teachers!
Summary of Changes:
· Twelve month curriculum with the addition of July to reflect
August is the teaching chapter that shows how you go through each month teaching reader to download things from the website. Following months will have reminders to go to the website.
· Alignment to state standards to support novice teacher effectiveness on evaluation
· Updated wording and titles for all content
· Introducing the topic of Mindful Mentoring
· Including student perspectives to mentoring conversations ACTs
· Streamlining content in book to bring readers to the website to download pages
· Introducing lesson planning earlier
· Corwin resources added to CONNECT pages and updating technology links
· Key Questions to monthly chapter introductions
· Video introductions to each month
· Mentoring Conversation videos throughout the book
· Other videos from MIA website integrated as appropriate i.e. Design Alliance
· Differentiated ACTs for FYI, Sharing, Mentor Reflection, and Mentoring Conversations
· Appendix of State examples of teaching standards and/or induction guidelines
· Companion Website using CW mouse icon to indicate to go to website.
Journal sheets for writing,
Reflection bubble sheets,
Graphics – slides
Downloadable forms from ACTs pages as appropriate.
Videos as indicated above