On-Your-Feet Guide: Teaching Study Skills [Grades 4-12]
- Douglas Fisher - San Diego State University, USA
- Nancy Frey - San Diego State University, USA
- Svetlana Cvetkovic
Primary Professional Studies
All On-Your-Feet Guide orders receive FREE SHIPPING! Use code SHIPOYFG at check out.
This guide provides a quick reference for encouraging students to develop strong and efficient study skills when preparing for assignments and assessments. This guide includes detailed explanations of cognitive study skill tools, including note-taking and mnemonics, as well as other types of study skills, such as metacognitive study skills, practice assessments, and affective study skills.
This On-Your-Feet Guide includes:
- Links to blank study skills templates.
- Explanations of various cognitive study skill tools, including note-taking, annotation, pre-reading tools, and mnemonics.
- A template for analyzing practice assessments.
- Tips for encouraging metacognitive study skills and affective study skills.
On-Your-Feet Guides (OYFGs) provide you with the ultimate “cheat sheet” to implement effective change in your classroom while in the moment of teaching. Designed for accessibility, and providing step-by-step guidance, the OYFGs are written by experts who take research-based practices and make them doable for the busy teacher. Each On-Your-Feet Guide is laminated, 8.5”x11” tri-fold (6 pages), and 3-hole punched.
Use the On-Your-Feet Guides:
- When you know the “what” but need help with the “how”
- As a quick reference to support a practice you learned in a PD workshop or book
- To learn how to implement foundational practices
- When you want to help your students learn a specific strategy, routine, or approach, but aren’t sure how to do it yourself