Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches
- John W. Creswell - Department of Family Medicine, University of Michigan
- J. David Creswell - Carnegie Mellon University, USA
Introduction to Qualitative Research Methods | Mixed Methods Research | Qualitative Research in Business & Management | Qualitative Research in Education | Quantitative/Statistical Research in Business & Management | Research Design | Research Design | Research Methods in Communication | Research Methods in Education | Research Methods in Social Work | Research Methods in Sociology | Thesis & Dissertation Guides |
This best-selling text pioneered the comparison of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods research design. For all three approaches, John W. Creswell and new co-author J. David Creswell include a preliminary consideration of philosophical assumptions, key elements of the research process, a review of the literature, an assessment of the use of theory in research applications, and reflections about the importance of writing and ethics in scholarly inquiry.
The Fifth Edition includes more coverage of: epistemological and ontological positioning in relation to the research question and chosen methodology; case study, PAR, visual and online methods in qualitative research; qualitative and quantitative data analysis software; and in quantitative methods more on power analysis to determine sample size, and more coverage of experimental and survey designs; and updated with the latest thinking and research in mixed methods.
SHARE this Comparison of Research Approaches poster with your students to help them navigate the distinction between the three approaches to research.
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
- Premium video content curated from the SAGE Research Methods platform, including videos by John W. Creswell.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter, plus accompanying exercises and application questions.
- Sample research proposals and templates offer further guidance on research design.
SAGE edge for Instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students.
- Premium video content curated from the SAGE Research Methods platform, including videos by John W. Creswell, accompanied by assessment questions.
- A diverse range of pre-written, editable test questions to help assess students’ progress and understanding.
- Sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for structuring your courses.
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts, plus accompanying exercises and application questions.
- Lecture notes highlight key concepts by chapter to help you prepare for lectures and class discussions.
- Chapter-specific writing exercises emphasize critical thinking and application of key concepts.
- Discussion questions launch classroom interaction and encourage students to engage further with the material.
- All figures and tables from the book available for download and use in your course.
I adopted and used last year. Considering adding or changing to another textbook.
Excellent resource for foundations course.
I feel the book does justice to reserach design and methods. Very informative and thoroughly written
Availability of the Instructor's Resources.
Great resource and handbook for introduction to research design.
An invaluable reference for Master's and Doctoral students at the beginning of their educational research journey
Content, excellent instructor resources
It covers everything our Sport Mgmt masters students need to know regarding research.
Recent version available with both qualitative and quantitative options in the same text. Great examples available in text with online options for students.
One of the best books on research that uses templates and uncomplicated terminology that resonates with students.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1: The Selection of a Research Approach
Chapter 2: Review of the Literature