Stand Up and Be Heard
Taking the Fear Out of Public Speaking at University
- Rob Grieve - University of West of England, Bristol, UK
Study Skills | Study Skills
Taking the fear out of public speaking at university, he teaches you how to develop your public speaking skills and build your confidence; so whether you’re giving a presentation or just talking with friends you can face the situation without fear.
With a unique focus on ‘authenticity’ over perfection, Stand Up and be Heard:
- Helps you identify and understanding your fear; what is it that you are most afraid of? How does this fear manifest
- Provides practical exercises and strategies that will help you manage your fear
- Teaches you the benefits of ‘authentic’ speaking and relying on your own voice and personality
- Offers checklists, step-by-step guidance and student testimonials to support your growth.
Student Success is a series of essential guides for students of all levels. From how to think critically and write great essays to boosting your employability and managing your wellbeing, the Student Success series helps you study smarter and get the best from your time at university.
Visit the SAGE Study Skills hub for tips, resources and videos on study success!
Very clearly written book which takes the reader in a systematic way through things to think about to support becoming a confident speaker. I thought the activities, opportunities for reflection and checklists were all really helpful. Now an essential text for helping our apprentices with the skills needed for presenting in their end point assessment!
A lot of my students report having high levels of anxiety when it comes to public speaking/ presenting research. Since takling these issues is only one rather short aspect of my course, but something that is on my participants' minds, I recommend this book as a very helpful resource.
Essential book for undergraduate students to improve their presentation skills and analyse fears associated with it. it could be used for postgraduate and professionals too.