This new edition provides a scholarly and readable introduction to all the key qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and methods, enabling postgraduate and masters-level students and new researchers to reflect on which ones suit their needs and to receive guidance on how to find out more.
With chapters written by experienced research practitioners, this second edition has been extensively expanded and updated. There are seven completely new chapters, as well as:
- new material on literature reviews
- a new introduction to quantitative methods
- an expanded glossary
- weblinks with free access to a wide range of peer-reviewed journal articles
- an annotated bibliography with conversational notes from authors in each chapter.
This book will act as your 'expert friend' throughout your research project, providing advice, explaining key concepts and the implications for your research design, and illustrating these with examples of real research studies.
Praise for the first edition:
"Not merely a how-to book, it reviews the conceptual framework of research methods in the social and behavioural sciences and provides tangible stories from the field that illustrate the application of specific techniques and the process of conducting research. . . . This work affords a concise overview of qualitative and quantitative methodologies in the social science. . . . Highly recommended."
University of Southern California
New to the second edition:
- Seven new chapters
- New material on literature reviews
- A new introduction to quantitative methods
- An expanded glossary
- Weblinks with free access to a wide range of peer-reviewed journal articles
- An annotated bibliography with conversational notes from authors in each chapter