Transgenderism and Intersexuality in Childhood and Adolescence
- Peggy T. Cohen-Kettenis - Vrÿe Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Friedemann Pfäfflin - Ulm University Clinic, Germany
Child & Adolescent Counseling | Clinical Psychology | Gender Roles | Psychology of Gender |
There is little doubt that children with gender problems suffer psychologically. But when clinicians are confronted with such cases, they often make controversial choices without the benefit of a substantial knowledge base.
Transgenderism and Intersexuality in Childhood and Adolescence: Making Choices presents an overview of the research, clinical insights, and ethical dilemmas relevant to clinicians who treat intersex youth and their families. Exploring gender development from a cross-cultural perspective, esteemed scholar Peggy T. Cohen-Kettenis and experienced practitioner Friedemann Pfäfflin focus on assessment, diagnosis, and treatment issues. To bridge research and practical application, they include numerous case studies, definitions of relevant terminology, and salient chapter summaries.
Clinically oriented, this comprehensive volume examines
- Gender development, identity, and segregation in sexual and psychosexual differentiation
- Subtypes and multiple theories of atypical gender development
- Evaluation, diagnosis, and intervention techniques for gender identity disorders
- Eligibility issues for reversible, partially reversible, and irreversible sex reassignment intervention
- Legal and ethical guidelines for the clinical management of gender problems in children and adolescents
Transgenderism and Intersexuality in Childhood and Adolescence: Making Choices offers an authoritative examination of sexual, psychosexual, and gender differentiation in children and adolescents. Combining empirical knowledge and in-depth research, the authors supply practitioners with the tools to effectively treat intersex, gender dysphoric, and gender variant youth.
An indispensable resource for mental health, medical, and educational professionals who work with children and adolescents, Transgenderism and Intersexuality in Childhood and Adolescence: Making Choices is also an excellent supplementary text for advanced undergraduate, graduate, and credential students in developmental and clinical psychology, pediatric psychiatry, pediatric nursing, and gender studies courses.