Developing Assessment-Capable Visible Learners, Grades K-12
Maximizing Skill, Will, and Thrill
- Nancy Frey - San Diego State University, USA
- John Hattie - The University of Melbourne, Australia
- Douglas Fisher - San Diego State University, USA
“When students know how to learn, they are able to become their own teachers.”
—Nancy Frey, Douglas Fisher, and John Hattie
Imagine students who describe their learning in these terms: “I know where I’m going, I have the tools I need for the journey, and I monitor my own progress.” Now imagine the extraordinary difference this type of ownership makes in their progress over the course of a school year.
This illuminating book shows how to make this scenario an everyday reality in your classroom — one that will significantly increase your students’ capacity to thrive as they take responsibility for their own learning.
With its foundation in principles introduced in the authors’ bestselling Visible Learning for Literacy, this resource delves more deeply into the critical component of self-assessment. Developing Assessment-Capable Visible Learners reveals
- The most effective types of assessment and how each can motivate students to higher levels of achievement
- How to introduce students to the tools they will use to support their own learning, along with the know-how they need to choose the right tool for any learning challenge
- How to create a classroom culture where errors are viewed as opportunities to learn
- The learning strategies, including cognitive, metacognitive, and motivational strategies, that fuel student progress, and how to give students opportunities to use them
- Real-world examples of the strategies and tools at work, through classroom scenarios contained in the book and online videos accessible via QR codes
As inspiring as it is practical, Developing Assessment-Capable Visible Learners gives you a clear strategy for empowering each of your students in shaping their own educational success.
About the Authors
Nancy Frey and Douglas Fisher, renowned educator-leaders with more than 41 combined years of K-12 and college teaching experience, currently work full-time at HMSHC. Together with John Hattie, they’ve authored an influential series of bestselling books on Visible Learning.
Dr. John Hattie is an internationally acclaimed author, educator and researcher whose innovative Visible Learning research synthesizes 15 years of studies involving millions of students. He is the Professor of Education and Director of the Melbourne Education Research Institute at the University of Melbourne, Australia.