Everyday Executive Function Strategies
Improve Student Engagement, Self-Regulation, Behavior, and Learning
- Valerie Saxton Sharpe - Educational Consultant
- Roberta Strosnider - Professor Emerita in Special Education, Towson University, and Educational Consultant
Everyday executive function strategies to engage and motivate YOUR students
Without a good foundation in executive function skills, many interventions will not be helpful for students experiencing academic and social-emotional challenges. However, explicitly taught metacognitive strategies provide students with the tools to engage and benefit from classroom instruction through the use of an executive function skillset.
With an impressive collection of 75 grade-appropriate executive function strategies, this practical guide addresses student needs in areas such as planning, working memory, time management, inhibitory behavior, cognitive flexibility, and self-regulation. Inside, you’ll find the metacognitive strategies shown most effective in facilitating students’ readiness and success in learning, plus
- Suggestions for incorporating executive function skills into your daily lesson planning and teaching routine without detracting from instructional time
- A step-by-step manual for explicitly teaching metacognitive skills
- Grade-level appropriate strategies grouped according to elementary, middle, and high school levels
- Guidance for adapting strategies to meet a wide range of individual student needs
Designed to be applicable to and usable by many educators, from teachers and school psychologists to administrators and school counselors, this toolbox of strategies will help you improve student engagement, self-regulation, behavior, and learning.
"Everyday Executive Function Strategies’s strength lies in its accessibility to all teachers of all levels of experience. It is simply structured while thoroughly covering all of its topics. It can be readily and quickly referenced and the forms that can be accessed online make it extremely useful. The content was extremely practical and easy to use. The components were plainly presented and immediately actionable by an educator, which is definitely a plus for anyone looking for resources. The relevancy of this book is very clear and the importance would resonate with any current educator."