Introduction to Online Learning
A Guide for Students
- Julie L. Globokar - Kaplan University, USA
A survival guide companion for students beginning their first online or hybrid class
Introduction to Online Learning introduces first-time distance learners to the realities of Web-based education and serves as the most comprehensive, practical guide to achieving success when facing online-specific barriers as well as common academic hurdles. Written by an experienced instructor, this invaluable aid shows students how to overcome challenges related to e-mail communication, technological catastrophes, staying organized on a daily basis, and more. Students learn to take advantage of the unique resources available for those enrolled in internet-based programs and to make the most of their Web-based educational experience by tailoring it to their personal strengths, needs, and learning styles.
- The author provides clear explanations of how to tailor research, writing, and citing sources to the online classroom, as well as when citations are necessary
- Concrete, original examples link the text to students' personal experiences; illustrations vividly bring material to life
- Screenshots and excerpts from online syllabi help students navigate their first course requirements
- Examples of appropriate discussion board interaction aid students in progressing in their course with confidence
- Self-assessments guide students in determining individual learning styles and levels of preparedness
Open-access student study site at www.sagepub.com/globokarestudy
This open-access student study site includes first-person testimonials and advice from online students and instructors, links to relevant Web sites and resources, and self-quizzes.
This groundbreaking supplement is a must-have for any student enrolled in an online course or degree program, or for students enrolled in hybrid courses including a mix of online and classroom learning.
I'm requiring it for all of my online students because many have a hard time adapting to online learning. I will be writing one of these myself soon!
A useful introduction to on-line learning for students embarking on distance learning modules
Excellent introduction, concise and easy reading.
This text has been helpful in assisting students in their individual online course design projects.
I'm having the bookstore order it as a "Recommended," as opposed to "Required" text. A lot of it doesn't apply to the particular course, as designed, but I think the earnest student would find it interesting and useful.
Note: In the prompt above this box, "relevent" shoud be "relevant." :-)
Excellent source for students seeking to understand the principles behind elearning and why it is now, or should be, an integral part of their learning environment.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1 - Debunking the Myths of Online Education