List of Figures
List of Tables
Supplemental Material for Use With Statistics Alive!
About the Author
Part I. Preliminary Information: "First Things First"
1. Math Review, Vocabulary, and Symbols
2. Measurement Scales
Part II. Tables and Graphs: "On Display"
3. Frequency and Percentile Tables
4. Graphs and Plots
Part III. Central Tendency: "Bull's-Eye"
5. Mode, Median, and Mean
Part IV. Dispersion: "From Here To Eternity"
6. Range, Variance, and Standard Deviation
Part V. The Normal Curve and Standard Scores: "What's the Score?"
7. Percent Area and the Normal Curve
8. z Scores
9. Score Transformations and Their Effects
Part VI. Probability: "Odds Are"
10. Probability Definitions and Theorems
11. The Binomial Distribution
Part VII. Inferential Theory: "Of Truth and Relativity"
12. Sampling, Variables, and Hypotheses
13. Errors and Significance
14. The z Score as a Hypothesis Test
Part VIII. The One-Sample Test: "Are They From Our Part of Town?"
15. Standard Error of the Mean
16. Normal Deviate Z Test
17. One-Sample t Test
18. Interpreting and Reporting One-Sample t: Error, Confidence, and Parameter Estimates
Part IX. The Two-Sample Test: "Ours Is Better Than Yours"
19. Standard Error of the Difference Between the Means
20. t Test With Independent Samples and Equal Sample Sizes
21. t test With Unequal Sample Sizes
22. t Test With Related Samples
23. Interpreting and Reporting Two-Sample t: Error, Confidence, and Parameter Estimates
Part X. The Multisample Test: "Ours Is Better Than Yours or Theirs"
24. ANOVA Logic: Sums of Squares, Partitioning, and mean Squares
25. One-Way ANOVA: Independent Samples and Equal Sample Sizes
Part XI. Post Hoc Tests: "So Who's Responsible?"
26. Turkey HSD Test
27. Scheffé Test
Part XII. More Than One Idependent Variable: "Double Dutch Jump Rope"
28. Main Effects and Interaction Effects
29. Factorial ANOVA
Part XIII. Nonparametric Statistics: "Without Form or Void"
30. One-Variable Chi-Square: Goodness of Fit
31. Two-Variable Chi-Square: Test of Independence
Part XIV. Effect Size and Power: "How Much Is Enough?"
32. Measures of Effect Size
33. Power and the Factors Effecting It
Part XV. Correlation: "Whither Thou Goest, I Will Go"
34. Relationship Strength and Direction
35. Pearson r
36. Correlation Pitfalls
Part XVI. Linear Prediction: "You're So Predictable"
37. Linear Prediction
38. Standard Error of Prediction
39. Introduction to Multiple Regression
Part XVII. Review: "Say It Again, Sam"
40. Selecting the Appropriate Analysis
Appendix A: Normal Curve Table
Appendix B: Binomial Table
Appendix C: t Table
Appendix D: F Table (ANOVA)
Appendix E: Studentized Range Statistic (for Tukey HSD)
Appendix F: Chi-Square Table
Appendix G: Correlation Table
Appendix H: Odd Solutions Texbook Exercises