Introducing Cultural Studies
Learning through Practice
- David Walton - University of Murcia, Spain
The fundamental task facing students of cultural studies is to apply theory to critical practice. Introducing Cultural Studies: Learning through Practice provides readers with the conceptual tools to practice cultural analysis for themselves. Further, readers will:
- Get a basic idea of the historical development of cultural studies
- Become familiar with important critics in the British cultural studies tradition
- Get a concise but critically aware introduction to key concepts
- Become conversant with some of the main areas of interest to cultural studies
- Develop awareness of how theory can be transformed into practice
- Develop the skills required to produce well-argued and informed projects
- See, from numerous practical examples, how concepts work in practice
Each chapter has a short introduction to explain the basic content and a brief description of the main learning goals. Chapters are concluded with brief summaries, references and advice on further reading. The book is full of exercises to motivate readers to respond to the book in an active and enjoyable way.
This book, by combining heuristic thinking with creative-critical approaches, provides undergraduates with an assured, witty, engaging and essential introduction to cultural studies.
David Walton is affiliated with the Universidad de Murcia, and is Senior Lecturer in Cultural Studies.
Walton's book is essential reading for both undergraduates and postgraduates. It takes the foundationsl authors of the field and applies them to contemporary examples, which is important in a subject so highly theorised. Unfortunately, at the moment, our Department is moving away from cultural studies and more into the realm of glocal media studies, and therefore we are not able to adopt it at present.
A really useful text that presents complex ideas in an engaging and accessible format.
We are currently reconsidering our Cultural Studies curriculum. We are therefore looking at different textbooks to see which ones fit our purpose.
This book's slant toward British cultural studies should be taken into account when considering adoption. The heuristic thinking and practice undertone of the entire text is extremely valuable, though it isn't balanced by deep critical analysis.